Re: One session per season...

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:20:10 -0000

"So remember that king you owe a favor too? These guys from this other city kidnap his stunningly beautiful wife, and he calls in all his allies to go and besiege them. For years you are camped out there, stalemated. One of the other heroes is now throwing a fit and is talking about going home, and it looks like the whole effort could disolve in an embarrassing waste of time.

So as things start, you are all camped out on the beach near Troy....."

(That is pretty much what the author of the Iliad chose to do, barring that he was a brilliant poet and wasn't trying to write the scenario for an RPG).

I'm not saying anyone should re-create the siege of Troy, but if you did, would it be more dramatic to walk through it step by step, or jump forward to near the climax?

To be honest, my tactician side screams "play out all the steps, I'm sure we could do better than that!" but my story teller side appreciates the elegance of starting where the drama is.

-Bryan