Re: Saga system

From: Darren Hill <rpglists_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:50:31 -0000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:48:20 -0000, Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
>> You can argue that either way - maybe you pay double, because
>> you had your chance to describe the backstory when you
>> originally described the character.
>
> A bit unfair. Unless you really want me as a player to postpone start of
> play until I've had the chance to write out every detail of every moment
> of my character's life before start of play. (Yes, I am perfectly
> capable of writing tens of thousands of words of backstory, I just
> prefer to do it after I've got to know the character a bit).

Except the rules limit you to 100 words (if you use that method) - so I could argue that only things that can be extrapolated from those words could be used. :) If you include some ambiguous references as a placeholder for this kind of thing, it would be easy to add backstory later though.

> Isn't it rather more fun to go "hey, wouldn't it be cool if this NPC we
> just met is an old schoolfriend? Look, I can fit it into my backstory
> here...."?

Yes, you could do that - paying 2HP isn't much more onerous than paying 1HP. :)
But if you have a backstory that even tenuously provides a justification for that schoollfriend, it would be okay with me. For exmaple, "We're in a land we've never been in before, and we've just encountered a trade caravan - maybe one of the guards served me during those Bandit Raids." "Sounds reasonable, 1 HP"

> Which, I suddenly realise, leads to a very important question for a PC
> of mine. Storm Tribe p 106. Humakti Hundred-thane qualifications. "Close
> combat 10W2 and warband tactics 10W". Is that the straight skill
> requirement, or the "as used" result, after you add in augments and
> fancy weaponry?

My guess is, it's intended that it be the main rating not the augmented one (which does beg the question, how do they know?). But if you have any kind of test to make, you'd get to use augments in that.

Darren