RE: Basic character premise?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:11:50 -0600

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

>It now seems that we also have "people to whom something interesting to
>the players happens once in a blue moon" as a character concept, which
>simply isn't something I'd ever considered.

No, no, no. These characters in these games have the same sort of premises that you're thinking of, with one difference. The character carries the premise, not the setting. Instead of "Are we prepared for this invasion?" the premise is more like "How will the character take to living in interesting times?" Same premise, really, the difference is that it's encoded in the character and carried around, and not solely present in the current situation.

Take good ole Frodo. Does the Lord of the Rings stop because he makes it to Rivendell wounded? No, weeks pass as he recovers, and when he does, his personal premise "Can I carry this burden?" resumes. His premise is not, "Can I evade the wraiths and get to Rivendell?" that's just something that happens on the way - part of his long journey to the final answer to the question (which is, interestingly, no).

So characters are very much "premise based" (in several meanings of that word), just internally premise based in this model.

Mike