Re: Saga system

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:21:31 -0600

>From: "Darren Hill" <rpglists_at_...>

>The problem for me is the variation between ability this produces.

Ability level discrepancies simply aren't a problem in HQ. You have them to start, actually. One character is 3W2 with augments for fighting, and another is a 6. Happens in every game. And doesn't matter. Each challenge should merely be either rated at what's plausible, or that plus what makes it an interesting challenge for the character in question. Simple contests, remember. The other PCs are only augmenting anyway (if they're involved at all).

In fact, you can play with "experienced" PCs and "newb" PCs together with no problems, in my experience. Gods could play with ants, and it would still work just fine.

Another reason this works is because "failure is always an option." Characters cannot be eliminated from play in HQ, unless the narrator decides that they are. So even if a character does, at some point, become ridiculously overmatched, it still doesn't matter. HQ simply doesn't have or need power balance.

Mike