RE: Re: Basic character premise?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 07:41:02 -0000

> > That is, that when you take a campaign premise and design a
> character
> > for it, what that character will be doing for most of their time
> in the
> > near future is something you're interested in playing.

> Jane, I'm not entirely sure that's fair.

I never said it was fair, I said it was the assumption I *had* been working to. And this conversation had made me realise it *was* an assumption.

> The idea is that
> what the character will be doing for most of the "on-screen"
> time is something you're interested in playing. Look at the
> Icelandic sagas - lots of great stuff is going on.

Ah, but then I find the Icelandic sagas quite a boring read. There's good stuff going on, but described at such a high level that you can never get inside the characters' heads and find out how they feel about it.

> My story arcs tend to spread over an entire
> generation (the Taming of Dragon Pass campaign took up over
> twenty-five years of game time).

And wouldn't it be wonderful if we could game out every day of that 25 years in loving detail? (sigh)