RE: Re: Basic character premise?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 07:49:52 -0000

> One could argue that the short period that Jane's
> approach concentrates on might be the most interesting part
> of that character's life

Yes, this is how I've always seen a "campaign" as being designed. You start at an interesting point. You carry on until it's no longer interesting (the new settlement is going fine, your child characters are now adult, the invaders have gone, the feud is over.) And then you stop. Maybe you pick up the same characters a few years later when the next challenge hits, but that would be a new campaign, and you'd need those "saga" rules to progress them to a suitable level.

In fact, this is roughly what I'm planning when I pick up my Marshedgers - the "child to new adult" phase of the first campaign is over, I'll move them along a few years, increase their keywords a bit, and hand them a new challenge.

What you and others are describing seems to be a sort of mix between the two. Yes, I'd always miss out "you sleep that night" and so on. But even "you travel for three days" can be a chance to do some IC chat in a rare gap when you're not being "attacked"/challenged.