RE: Re: Saga system

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:17:02 +0000 (GMT)

Jane asked:

"Plenty of you people seem to have tried this. If a PC
is sitting at home doing his farming, riding patrol, and other routine Orlanthi stuff (this is pre-invasion, so life isn't *too* tough), how many HP per season give you an advancement rate that feels right?

Or would you advance keywords?"

If a character isn't doing anything much for a year, sling him a point in a keyword. It's worth about a dozen hero points according to the back of a fag packet I used a couple of months back.

My characters tend to get about 24 hero points a game year if they're actively played. About half that for not being actively played seems about right.

She also mentioned:

"I'd be quite tempted to force advancement of the
"homeland" keyword, myself. All those boring abilities
that no-one ever puts points in. But if you're hanging around at home, then "Heortling customs" and
"relationship to clan" should be improving."

I haven't had this problem in play: Clan membership seems to improve as soon as players realise they can get a lot out of it. You'll never make clan champion or chieftain without it. Likewise, without decent mythology you end up looking like a spanner when you're HeroQuesting. "We need to go to the Edge of World lads! Follow me to Kero Fin!"

I've recently had a run on "walk with snowshoes" after a long scenario set in Storm Season. It's the only time I've had more than one character increase an ability by 2 after a session. It was quite amusing watching some quite experienced characters sliding about like penguins without the finesse.

Cheers,

Ash