Re: Re: Saga system

From: Darren Hill <rpglists_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:37:54 -0000

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:29:00 +0000 (GMT), Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:

> --- paul_at_... wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that new and
>> challenging situations would tend to improve ability
>> faster than working on something that the character
>> has already mastered.
>
> Here is where my maths really falls over, because I've
> heard that HQ uses a "logarithmetic" (sp?) scale that
> means this isn't true. But I've never really
> understood why, how, or what it all means. Can someone
> tell me what I'm getting confused with?

You can't really relate HQ ratings with "time used" or "Challenge faced" - no one gets from a rating of 17 to 17w6 just by facing incrementally greater challenges. (Not in the real world, anyhow.) You only get ratings that big because in this game, you can become demigod-like beings. The experience system arbitrarily provides a way to measure this advance (and the lesser steps along the way), but it has nothing to do with training, experience, or challenge faced. It's not realistic (nor meant to be).
How each GM awards experience will vary, but a primary consideration is: how fast do I want my characters to advance? Giving every PC five xp at the end of every session, regardless of how much game time or challenge was covered, is just as valid as giving different awards to PCs for different things and different time - but it always comes back to a basic judgement of how fast players should advance - everything else is built around that.

Darren