Re: Re: Keyword v. best skill?

From: Darren Hill <rpglists_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:12:12 -0000

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:25:54 -0600, Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...> wrote:
> Second, and this addresses Darren's "problem," come up with this number
> on
> the spot. Mike's Heresy #7 points out that there's nothing in the book
> that
> says that you are required to stat out an NPC before a fight. So, worried
> about making sure that the character is of an appropriate level of
> difficulty for the character to make the contest go like you want? Then
> simply wait for the players to add up all of their augments, and make up
> his
> one number on the spot. This works every time.

This approach doesn't work for me, so it doesn't solve my problem, sadly.

I agree with not statting out characters, but that's why I need a sense of what skill ranges I can expect at different levels, what kind of scores are likely after augmentation in different situations if you start with _this_ level compared to _that_ level.
I know if I was playing in a game like this, I'd soon give up on trying to find all the augments I need (for the first round anyway! ;)), and would settle for frittering away FP just to expand the skill list, rather than increase ratings. It would rob me of some of the enjoyment of play. I know not all players are like me.

> The point is that one can effectively forget about modeling the world
> outside of the heroes.

Unfortunately, I'm obsessive-compulsive about that, and I won't be happy unless I use that approach.

Darren