RE: Re: Saga system

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:27:40 +0000 (GMT)

> From what I've seen of the way players increase
> their
> character's abilities they tend to increase their
> abilities one point at a time, ..

> - a character's highest ability is proportional to
> the number of adventures he's participated

> So, to get from best ability 5W (sort of roughly a
> characters best starting ability) to best ability
> 10W3 (sort of hero level) would take 45 adventures

Excellent! as a rule of thumb goes, that's great.

Of course, I now need to allow for the people whose best ability is an Affinity (3 points not 1), but if I award HP in 45 "batches", and each batch is big enough that raising several affinities by a point each isn't a problem - there we go!

I don't want them agonising on where to spend those precious HP. It isn't fun. But nor do I want them going up out of control. So if I slap a ban (or demand justification) for going up more than one point at a time, but let them have large numbers, this will all sound good.

Of course, broad-based characters (what I'd end up with) can go OTT in terms of augments, as has been pointed out. Augments, in PBEM, have a very simple limit. You want to use an augment, you write the IC text describing it. Even the most wordy players (yes, guilty) don't often go too far.

> Another option is to let them adventure for a short
> while in Pavis.

I was going to. Never mind HP, Pavis is *fun*. A bit of time in "clan life" to get us back into the swing of "normality" again, then off to Pavis to see how weird things are there. Make some friends from far-away places, team up with even the Balkoth because at least they're Sartarite - there's nothing to make you nationalistic like being abroad!

Then go home again. And rebuild your relations with the clan.

Jane Williams