RE: Narrative Abilities are crap?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:50:12 -0000

> By the term "individualizing", I meant precisely the
> non-keyword abilities that make the character an interesting
> individual.

We agree so far, then. The dramatically important abilities, the ones in which the player is actually interested.

> I'm just not sure how having the individualistic
> abilities be low in level makes them any less unique,

Well "less unique" is a difficult phrase to understand anyway. Either something is unique, or it isn't. Did you mean something like "distinctive"?

If (big if) their rating reflects their dramatic importance, then if they're lower, they're less important. If they're lower than keyword skills, they're less important than keyword skills. And since the whole point of the 100 words is to describe the things that *are* important, that's the wrong way round.

Of course, if that "big if" is false, as the rules do suggest, really, then no problem.

> nor how
> this has anything to do with the overall theme of the game.

Depends on what your overall theme is. Questing to be a Hero, according to the title.

> Again, I see HQ as being about identity in a culture, belief,
> and occupation, and how individuals in such a group affect
> that. But the primary thing has to be the sense of belonging,
> IMO.
Unlike the sample PCs in the rule-book, then? Who have left their own disparate communities, make no attempt to join another one, and are busy exploring their own identities? What do we remember about any of them? There's the little one with the deer who does origami magic (no idea what her keywords were), the one who dresses fancy, has a weird non-human follower, and wants to learn to surf (ditto), the puma person who wants to be human (know his homeland, no idea of occupation or magic), and of course Mr "so what does sociopathic mean, then?" I remember his occupation and magical keywords (the second bought in play), but no idea about homeland.