Re: Agamori and Lodril

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:23:31 +1300

At 11:41 PM 1/19/05 +0000, you wrote:

>Back in Borderlands the Agamori were written up as being made by
>Eurmal and Lodril (primarily the later). Is this still a current
>view?

Lodril is Balumbasta and the standard Agimori creation myth is described in Missing Lands and Revealed Mythologies. To put it simply the other gods participating in the creation are: Cronisper (Sky), Pamalt (Spirit), Yanmorla (Clay), Kendamalar (Sun) and Nyanka (Water).

Eurmal is no longer present as his counterpart Bolongo is not cited in the creation of the Agi. However the Praxian Agimori can quite easily have a divergent creation myth with Balumbasta and Bolongo figuring prominently to the exclusion of all others.

>I have had a look around for HQ comments about Lodril but there dont
>seem to be many. The old Cults book implied he was a common mans god
>and wasnt really tied to any pantheon.

He is not really tied to any pantheon in the same way that the Sun, Storm and Earth are not really tied to any pantheon.

>Should he be treated as
>'common' magic or as a theistic god?

There are several cults of what the God Learners would call Lodril in and around Glorantha.

Lodril as worshipped in Dara Happa is a Great God. One of his subcults is Navestos the Harvester (HQ p125) while three other subcults are mentioned by name (Morurder the Master, Mohenjar the Overseer and Morkartos the Foreman).

Lodril as worshipped in Teshnos is Solf, a transcendant fire. Two of his subcults are briefly mentioned in the Teshnos homeland keyword (HQ p56) - Kab Tolat Solf and Besdi Solf Du. The magics taught are Affinities and Talents and some unlisted cults might teach Charms and Spells.

Lodril as worshipped in Pamaltela is Balumbasta the Fire Giant/Spirit. His cult is not described but is undoubtedly animist.

>Are agamori animists or theists, or commonists, or a mix of these?

The Agimori of Prax are animists.

>Has Foundchild replaced Lodril for day to day survival and Lodril is
>now paid lip service as a creator god.

That is apparently how it is shown in the Borderlands and other sources.

>The Agamori are part of Waha's covenant (? are they) which means they
>have to give some support to him, dont they ?

No, they are not. To be part of the survival covenant, they would have to herd beasts which they do not.

--Peter Metcalfe