Re: Saga system

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:24:14 -0800

Jane

> > If the players are the heroes, then their ratings determine
>> the rest of the world. If you think they are equal to Kallyr,
>> then Kallyr's abilities should be in the same range as the
>> players's. If they aren't on Kallyr's level, then her
>> abilities are a mastery higher.
>
>So I set her abilities in 1613 (or any other date before 1620) by what
>theirs are? Fair enough. As long as she doesn't end up with a nasty step
>up or down from 1619 to 1620.

IIRC, only Tapping reduces abilities, so I can't think why her player-matching abilities would need to go down.

> > I think it's extremely rare for Jeff or me to give out more
>> than 1 directed HP per skill (exceptions being something
>> heroquest-related, or an unusual follower or relationship
>> gained during play).
>
>And roughly how many skills per hand-out session?

I think we more or less go by the book suggestion for session HP. I have tried to give every character a directed HP as well (and by Rob's report I succeeded, for him at least). Sometimes it's obvious what it should be, sometimes I need to let the player help figure out what it should be.

> > I agree - I'm sorry you generally dislike films.
>
>I think my main reason is just that, no matter how good, they're too
>slow! An inherent feature of the medium - conversations take place at
>talking speed. I read a bit faster than that.

  1. But a film can convey setting far faster -- think of Mos Eisley in Star Wars.
  2. A film can convey the correct speed of things. My wife and I just watched "Fast Runner," and she says now she understands "tribal time." (Desite the name, it's not a fast-paced film, but I suspect it is a very accurate portrayal of Inuit life.)

Kevin

>Any year where the hypothetical
>character starts with one mastery in his/her best ability has an
>improvement limit of 4 points. Each additional mastery slows the rate of
>improvement by one point, until at four masteries the rate of
>improvement is 1 per year

I've sometimes thought that all progression should cost 1 HP + the number of masteries you will have (so 19 -> 20 = 1 HP, and 20 -> 1W = 2 HP)... I think this is roughly the same as your suggestion, but it encourages broadening.

--

David Dunham