Re: Keith's Heresies

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:50:51 +0000 (GMT)

Keith said:

"But if someone bothers to mention playing fox and
geese in their narrative it is not because they are slightly good at it."

If they're more than "slightly good at it" they'd spend some of their initial points on it. e.g. same character had a relationship "taught by Uncle Hrolf 1W." That was more important than the "Play fox and geese ability 13" to the player so he spent some points on it.

Moral of this one is: If something is really important to your character, then spend some of your starting points on it. You can't get "Impressive beard 5W" out of the box, but you can get 3W.

"[if he's only got 13 ability] our fox and geese
playing amateur gets beat by any improvised -5, Cunning 5w he comes across."

At best "cunning" would be a -20 improvisation or augment the base chance of 6. Otherwise you'll end up with a swarm of Baldric's running around "cunningly" doing things they've never done before - cunning stunts and cunning linguist are of course totally acceptable.

I'm also a bit confused by point #3:

"D10 is easier to use than D20, allowing us to use
arabic numerals as they is normally writ."

Maybe Sir should get rid of his Kanji / hiragana / hieroglyph d20 and buy the same type I bought over the weekend - each face numbered 1 through 20.

Cheers,

Ash