When the Wolf Pirates came to town... (was narrative vs keywords)

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:23:05 +0000 (GMT)

Mark said:

"Distilling anyone's life, character, relationships
and goals into 100 words ought to be difficult, and ought IMO thus to end up with key descriptors, not the random 'not bad at x' ephemera."

The whole argument seems to be that everything you list in your narrative should be greater in ability level than things in your keywords because they're things that define your character. Scores have to be high, because they ARE your character. 13 is just too low a score to be any good when things in your keywords are at 17.

When the Wolf Pirates came to town...

The Wolf Pirates come to town. Lead by Gunda (Harrek's having a mandatory tragic hero day off) they rampage through the houses, largely unoposed 'cause most of the populace has made a run for it.

Apart from one small boy.

He's only 12 years old, but stuck between a rock and a hard place. He was in the khazi when the pirates landed and being only a boy no one made sure he was okay as the family fled with great granny, granny, mum and his sisters.

He get's dragged before Gunda, who's amazed that anyone stuck around to confront them. "I challenge you to a contest of your choice for my freedom!" the boy manages to stutter through bowl slackening fear at the ice faced Valkyrie confronting him.

"Surely you'd like me to appoint a champion..." she
laughs, "But if you insist, who am I to forbid a doomed man his dieing wish."

She pauses for effect, looking around her men. "Tell you what, young doomed man child from under the thumb of Imarja, you tell me what the contest will be."

"Then ma'am," replies the boy, use of the honorific
drilled in through years of use, almost swooning with relief, "the winner shall be the one of us with the biggest cock."

Cheers,

Ash