Re: Re: Mystic magic

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 04:26:30 +0100 (BST)

Me:
> > Though unlike a theist, you may not have another 'generic'
> > magical defence. Not clear what the intended effect is,
> > though.

David D:
> Theists don't have generic magical defense.

That ain't what p.170 of HW implies to me. (Though it alleges the same of animists and sorcerors too, to be non-pertinently picky with myself.)

> > True, though all the existing examples seem to be fairly
> > contest-ending anyway. ("You're now at 10AP--" "OK" "--and dead."
> > "Oh.)
>
> Mystic strikes don't have their special effect until the target is at
> 0 AP (or less) -- was "10" a typo?

It was neither a typo nor a misunderstanding of the rules; I was referring, with tongue in cheek, to the Nils thought that I was quoting (hence the fact that I quoted it, oddly), about the pointlessness of the 'special effect' mechanism.

> To answer an earlier question, a Humakti using his Death secret and
> failing would not be dead at 0 AP -- "he will suffer reduced
> consequences of the special effect."

Reports of his death were slightly exaggerated?

Cheers,
Alex.