Dead skills dont die, they dont even fade away.

From: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:19:27 -0000

Jane Williams:
> I *know* my players will develop abilities that vanish
> with time, because they're building up relationships
> with people who I happen to know will get killed in
> 1602, or 1613. Their "streetwise (Duck Point)" will
> take a bit of a blow when the Lunars burn the place
> down.

I suggest that abilities do not vanish with time because of the things they relate to ceasing to exist or changing. Some skills might vanish because you change cult or decrease because you stop using them and choose to reduce them, but thats a different issue.

If you have I Love Bob 15w2 and Bob dies I see no reason to alter the ability. Its applicable to loads of things and only a few are lost by Bob not being easy to contact anymore.

As a general rule I would hold that the description of an ability changes whenever the nature of the ability changes or is better understood. And the number changes when you buy it up or down or whatever.

So you might be best to redescribe it as I Loved Bob Who Was Cruely Drowned By The Evil Engizi-ites 15w2. Its good for hating Engizi-ites, augmenting attempts to contact Bob in the underworld, being worried about swimming, being confident that Love can happen in the world, augmenting anything to do with avenging bob, augmenting attempts not to die while bob remains unavenged. I will stop there but the list is endless.

Had Bob run off with the milkmaid then I Loved Bob Till He Ran Off With The Milkmaid 15w2 would be just as versatile but for a different set of potential uses.

Relationships are the obvious main area of such a approach but I think it holds true for all abilities.

Nick
who has no hope of catching up after a week away.