Lunars and the kids today [was: Dead skills dont die]

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:17:11 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2005-01-21-0010.

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> Find a copy of "Reefer Madness" or some other Anti-drug movie and mine them
> for ideas of what strange things the Lunars/Lunar religion make(s) you do.
> Pass it on to the players in dribs and drabs: "Did you here about Old Oddi's
> sister's kid? You know, the one that moved to Swenstown? She attended one of
> those Lunar Missionary meetings and ended up eating her own foot! I kid you
> not! She said that the Moon wanted her to."
>
> This is your Soul. This is your Soul on the Moon. Any Questions?
> (I'm not sure if that particular Anti-Drug spot ever got over the pond, but
> us 'mericans over about 20 should be able to relate...).

Must have been an American thing, as the British attitude was until recently is "Drugs, what are drugs? It what rock stars and Hollywood movie idols use isn't it?"

> > I'll feed them that story in a bit. But for now - what captives? The
> > Lunars are sending missionaries, not soldiers. And these kids are in
> > their late teens at best, if it wasn't in the last 5 years, it's ancient
> > and irrelevant history.
>
> [Irritated old fart] These kids today, with their fast chariots and wierd
> religions. [/Irritated old fart]
>
> Okay, no captives, but the missionaries are mixing Chaos Slime into the free
> wine they give to their listeners! And those nice red shirts they hand out
> attract Chaos demons that whisper in your ear and make you murder your
> family.

My campaign is set in 1565, the Lunars have offered a tribrute of 100 cows to the tribe each year if they stay out of the Tarsh wars. Now the players know what the Lunars are about [or think so] but the player characters were new to the schemes of the Lunar Empire. The response was "We get 100 cows a year for doing nothing? Excellent! Sign us up."

Cheers
Darran.

'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'