Improvised narration (was Re: Saga system)

From: bankuei <Bankuei_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:06:17 -0000

Hi Rob,

Here's my method-

Conflict and Relationship Map

I come up with a key conflict. The conflict is a problem, or soon to explode problem with identifable sides and issues. I begin with 2 characters and give them short descriptions, usually a few sentences and maybe a couple of keywords at most. I draw a relationship map, with them, and draw a line between them that defines their conflict. Then I start adding more characters who are against one side or another, sometimes for similar reasons, sometimes completely selfish ones. At minimum- I need 2 or 3 NPCs, and can create the rest on the fly. Most of the time, I go with 8- 12 key characters and make up the rest.

Ties to the Map

Sometimes I let the players choose how they're tied into the mess by showing them the Relationship map and letting them choose how they want to be involved("Oh, let's say she was my ex-girlfriend- and this guy over here is my half-brother!"). Sometimes I will produce a new map based on relationships from previous sessions("Now that you're married into this Clan, you need to deal with THESE folks...")

The key point is that heroes -should- have at about 2 or 3 different ties into any relationship map. This negates the need for belabored adventure hooks like "so and so tells you to do it".

Actual Play

Now- here's all you have to do to improvise anything during play. Choose one or more of you NPCs, and have them take an action regarding the conflict. Its the same thing as if you were playing as a PC- you just think about the character's motivations regarding the conflict, and have them take action. Then choose another NPC, and another, and keep going. Frame scenes where the heroes either are present for the NPCs actions, they learn of the NPCs plans for future actions, or arrive to see the effects of the NPCs actions already completed. I put those in the order of most interesting for players to least- that is, they'd rather be present, than hear about something -going- to happen, and they'd rather be forewarned, than have to clean up the mess, but all three can be used.

The Players do things

So- what's happening on the other side of the table? Well, if the players are committed to their hero's relationships, they ought to be taking sides, or doing something- anything regarding the conflict. Sometimes that means they'll be trying to make sure "their" side wins, sometimes they'll be trying to quell the problem and sometimes they'll just want to save a few people before it all goes to hell. You have no idea what they're going to really do, so all you have to do in response is choose an NPC who would act or react in an interesting way and put him or her in a scene with the heroes.

It's just using the same skills that you would use as a player. Players don't come to the table with a prewritten plot or plan- you don't need to either. Just look down the list, choose a character or two and play them. Easy.

I've written an entire scenario around this idea right here:

http://www.geocities.com/doctorpeace/well.html

PS- The Pool is a free rpg available at www.randomordercreations.com It's rules give a lot of narrative control to the players, and as a GM you are forced to toss out the idea of predetermined plots.

Chris