Re: Keith's Heresies

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:35:37 -0000

> > > why Paul McCartney wrote better songs when he was in the
beatles
> > > than last week.
> > >

> > He's no longer been augmented by John Lennon?
>
> Are you joking Tim?? Or just completely missed the point?

Mostly the former, probably a dash of the latter, and a twist of reminding people that there is no "one correct way" of doing anything in HQ, and you can always approach any problem in more than one way and get an acceptable (if not the same) answer.

It is an observable fact, as Keith points out, that at least for certain skills, youth has the advantage, but this could be represented not only by limiting skill acquisition over a certain point (The variants of the houserule that any skill over W4 (/W3/W2...) can only be explained by magic, for instance), or by increasing the cost of increasing high skills (Variants of the "1+masteries" HP to improve houserule), but also by giving positive or negative augments for age and it's effects, or other "external" factors (Does Paul's 60's music seem better than his more recent stuff because it was augmented by his "Capture cultural zeitgeist" while we resist the new stuff with our "prefer what we are familiar with"?)