Re: The book says many things

From: bankuei <Bankuei_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:34:15 -0000

Hi Rob,

> What I got, overall, is that for more free-form scenarios, the
> narrator has to have a very detailed setting, and a strong set of
> narrator characters with close ties to player characters.

Depends on what you mean by "detailed". A single problem, 3-12 Narrator characters, and I'm good to go. I like to build subconflicts, and that is often where detail occurs for me. Well of Souls is an example of extreme detail, and it was designed that way in order to give many different approaches and ways for heroes to "link in" to the conflict at hand. While the political struggle and parent/child issue may not appeal to some, you have religious conflicts, lots of forbidden romance, rivalry, and underhanded greed thrown in the mix as well.

But, overall, for long term play, I tend to produce nasty conflicts like Well of Souls, because for a few hours of initial prep, you find yourself able to take 10 minutes between sessions, review some of the events that have occurred, ramifications, consider what the Narrator characters are about, and you're prepped for the next session. I tend to scrawl down 5-8 potential events or bits of info that can spark action as well. Nothing like a whole event, but an idea to be worked in if it seems appropriate("A hero stumbles upon X & Y's affair in the midst of the act...").

Chris