Re: Improvisation & the Book (was The book says many things)

From: bankuei <Bankuei_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:01:34 -0000

Hi Tim,

Yes, I agree, that particular method would not work. That would be adding more branch points to the scenario and would not constitute teaching anyone how to improvise. What -would- be useful is to show how to take a conflict, and some narrator characters, and run through a simple option set of questions the Narrator could answer for his or her own self. Starting with, "What would be interesting?"

Since Greg has encouraged folks to go ahead and produce Narrator techniques for Improvisation- I'm already starting on it, and I'll be happy to share when I have it complete. I'll be looking forward to input and comments.

> To do so in the form of a scenario is even harder - especially if
> you want to make the scenario accessible to people who are not used
> to this style of GMing, ...

Not many people are used to this style of GMing because there is little documentation- so if we don't produce or share documentation, how are people supposed to be familiar with it? The idea of improvisation is even LESS accessible to tell people to "just do it" without solid advice as HOW to do it. It is like saying, "Baking a cake is easy, just do it" without including any recipe advice, because you're afraid the recipe will scare off people who don't know how to bake a cake :)

Chris