Re: Hero Points; contests; magical resistance

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 11:07:47 -0700

Jonas wrote

> No role-player I know would use HP to bump a roll unless the character's
> _life_ depended on it.

I think *this* (rather than any difference in describing feats) is going to be the real chasm between gaming groups!

Mark suggested

> One thing you might consider is to say that the AP they lost in the last
> fight counts against their AP total for the next fight (unless they get
> healed or something). This way if they encounter multiple waves of
> opponents they just don't start fresh when they encounter a new wave.

Right, multiple waves are usually the same contest (i.e. the uz send in the trollkin first to soften up their opponents, then charge themselves -- this is clearly the same contest from the point of view of the uz strategist).

and Alex questioned

> You mean, the AP total doesn't 'reset' at all? That would be rather
> retrograde, IMO, other than in situations where the first fight had
> a 'false ending', or the two were very close together indeed.

In most cases, the AP do reset. The difference of course is whether it's a new contest or not. Note that simply switching skills or even goals doesn't create a new contest (e.g. the rules for running away, p.138). I usually use the passage of time or the obvious unrelatedness. It's not always so clear cut -- if a ship captain beats back an attack by mermen, then has to save his ship from being dashed on the rocks, I think the two contests aren't related, but if he was unable to rest in between there should perhaps be a penalty to his ship sailing skill.

Alex

> > Theists don't have generic magical defense.
>
> That ain't what p.170 of HW implies to me. (Though it alleges
> the same of animists and sorcerors too, to be non-pertinently
> picky with myself.)

I'm not sure what you're saying. There is a default minimum resistance, but there is no specific ability that theists have that others don't. Everyone resists magic with whatever ability is most appropriate.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.