Re: Digest Number 1782

From: Madeleine Eid <eid_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:59:07 +0000

Standard VAT policy:

Does it come in a box? Yes - then shake the box and see if it rattles. If it does, it's a game. If it doesn't, it's a book. The reasoning is that games contain dice (which rattle) and books don't...

Mind you, this was 15 years ago when I worked in a games'n'comix store so nowadays that don't work with computer games.

I think the only time I got charged VAT & duty on an eBay purchase was on some china I had shipped over from the States. Given the situation with china is unclear whether it's rateable or not, I didn't bother claiming it back, especially as I'd recently got a computer upgrade costing ten times the price not being charged VAT & duty.

One thing, if the shipper is a courier firm, they *always* collect. If things are posted - surface or air, the Post Office has better things to do with their time than to go through every mail bag.

TTFN Maddy E