Re: Nonhuman Sidekicks

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:27:05 -0000

Hey, don't let me stand in the way of MGF, as of course YGWV. I was merely reciting the rules as I remember them.

> > In regard to sidekicks having abilities there is nothing to fear
> > except fear itself. After all they are paying for them.
>
> Exactly. In as much as improvements to sidekick abilities is
> considered a "problem", it's a self-correcting one.

No more than 10% of the HP, I think, and that is if you keep such a close eye on these things. As discussed before, this tends to be intuitively self regulating. All of my players (when I was narrating, I am taking a break) and now me, tend NOT to spend the 10% on our sidekicks, or indeed to our Guardian.

Also, without labouring the point, if you want two characters, ask the narrator if you can convert the sidkick into a make-as-you go character or something and then add away! But my feeling is that the framewaork offered by the rules is a good one, and we adhere to it in our game although YGMV.

If a player
> lavishes his or her HPs on the sidekick, it's to the detriment of
the
> hero character, which most players will be loathe to do for any
> length. Even then, is it really to the detriment of the hero? As
> suggested previously, a sidekick is an extension of a hero's
abilities
> -- though a more vulnerable one as you point out. They're there
for
> the very purpose of diversifying the profile of the hero, often
times
> to allow the hero's player options that are precluded by the hero's
> character concept. Why limit a sidekick any further than they
already
> have been by their creation rules?
>
> !i!

All very fine points. Exaactly what would be the framework you would hang this on? Or have no rules at all? Or use the keyword + 3 abilities just as a starter?

Regards
Rob