Common magic

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:54:22 +1100

I was wondering what determines the Otherworldly (or Worldly) source of Common magical abilities?

For example: the Heortling ancestor Flesh Man offers talents, but the Esvulari Unknown God Church offers identically named powers that are feats, charms, or spells.
I would have thought that an ancestor from a theistic society would have offered feats (i.e. theism-aspected magic) not talents. It seems a trifle harsh to cut people off from their ancestors' gifts when they concentrate their magic in the traditional manner (e.g. Heortlings concentrating in Theism).

Was it to avoid munchkinism and make concentration have some real downside? Or am I just missing the damn point?

--
John Machin