RE: Re: Common magic

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:08:58 -0600

Sorry, hadn't seen that you'd split up the response!

>From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>

>My comment regarding Runequest was that you could cast magic without having
>to be even a lay worshipper or follower of a shaman or whatever.

Ah. Well, I think that your character was a Communal Worshipper or whatever. You just didn't know it. That is, it had no mechanical effect back then. Wait, could you call for divine aid? See, I bet it was all in there somewhere.

But, yes, back then RPGs didn't make you associate with certain folks to get magic. I think that the associations for magic are the key to making HQ the game that it is.

>I guess we actually agree on most of what I said, and if I read you right,
>who teaches common magic is undefined, at least in the rules as they stand.

Actually, I was saying that I wasn't sure. I think it is defined. I just can't remember. :-)

That said, I think that learning it either from the being directly or from an intermediary works, just so long as you have to get it from somewhere. For instance, if I had a player with a character who didn't have a relationship with a shaman, but had CM Charms, I'd try to find a CM Religion to get him associated with to explain where he got the charms. Could be that there's just a big spirit nearby that's just willing to put a part of itself inside of a charm for anyone who worships it. The reason this makes sense is because it's precisely the "Open Spirit World" ability that's required for a practitioner to make a charm out of an otherworld spirit, if I understand correctly. Given a spirit in the mundane world, you might not need something like that. The spirit could bind at will.

Mike