Re: Common magic

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:13:35 +0000 (GMT)

John Machin:

> Are there other common magic traditions for the
> Heortlings? Tribal, or
> clan, or even bloodline, specific ones?

I've always (even back in RQ days) assumed that there are clan and blood-line specific traditions of "common" magic - that is, what magic is commonly used by that bloodline and no other, irrespective of the mechanics of how it works. Special spirit magic spells, when I first started using it, sometimes with conditions attached. Like the bog-standard Strength spell that only worked if you'd been drinking Oak Beer.

How a "common magic" spell in HQ gets to be bloodline specific is an interesting question, of course.

It's a Talent that that bloodline are born with? It comes from the spirit in that tree over there next to our stead?
It's from one specific ancestor?
It's "just" tradition that everyone in our bloodline learns this spell?

Jane Williams