Re: Common magic

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_...>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:53:34 +0100

>>No, I believe that his argument was that you got X magic from Y
>>sort of being.
>>
>>Spirits - charms
>>Essences - spells
>>Daimones - feats

Exactly

>>If somthing is more than one of these, then it seems to stand to
>>reason that they could give more than one type.

>But he didn't say that something could be more than one of these
>and I find the concept of labelling something as a spirit/essence,
>frex, to be hideously unelegant and catergorically pointless.

No more pointless than calling the magic feats, charms and spells if they had no relation to the specialized magics.

The minor Seshnelan saints mentioned are said to often be gods or spirits which are worshipped in a Malkioni context. That would explain feats or charms and spells. Spells would be a form of misapplied worship, but that might not really matter for common magic.

A single entity giving all three forms looks a bit odd from that point of view, but then again it could very well be that the author of these just didn't think of it.

So, in conclusion, what I mean is, I don't think we need to over-theorize and make this more complex than necessary.

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams