Re: Re: Common magic

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:31:14 +1100

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:24:43 -0800, Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...> wrote:
> God-talker (the Heortling word for "priest") is an *Occupational* Keyword,
> and has no magic abilities of it's own. The Keyword isn't affected by
> whether you are concentrated or not, or what your magical rank
> (Communal/Initiate/Devotee) might be. Or even who (or what) you worship.

In Thunder Rebels it has 'god-talker' as an Occupation, and 'priest' as an Advanced Occupation, no doubt representing the need for both strong quasi-magical abilities like Make Sacrifice and Pray To [Deity] and strong relationships with worshippers.

The Occupation in the HQ rules seems to be more culturally generic.

Would Heortlings still have a distinction between god-talkers (HQ 'priest' with lower ratings and wealth) and priests (HQ 'priest' with higher ratings and wealth)?

Thunder Rebels also notes that god-talkers are always initates (like everyone, basically) and normally devotees, and that priests are usually god-talkers first. It -also- says that most god-talkers have another job as well, so that Humakti god-talkers are also 'warriors' etc. Does this mean people who are making god-talker characters should have multiple Occupation Keywords (this is what I have done with an 'experimental' Hevduran intiate)?

--
John Machin