Re: Re: Common magic

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:17:53 -0800

> > God-talker (the Heortling word for "priest") is an *Occupational*
Keyword,
> > and has no magic abilities of it's own. The Keyword isn't affected by
> > whether you are concentrated or not, or what your magical rank
> > (Communal/Initiate/Devotee) might be. Or even who (or what) you worship.
>
> In Thunder Rebels it has 'god-talker' as an Occupation, and 'priest'
> as an Advanced Occupation, no doubt representing the need for both
> strong quasi-magical abilities like Make Sacrifice and Pray To [Deity]
> and strong relationships with worshippers.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that.

> The Occupation in the HQ rules seems to be more culturally generic.

Definitely true. General rules tend to be.

> Would Heortlings still have a distinction between god-talkers (HQ
> 'priest' with lower ratings and wealth) and priests (HQ 'priest' with
> higher ratings and wealth)?

Sure. Why not? It's the same with "Warrior" and "Weaponthane". Partly it's support given to singular people by the clan, allowing them to do what they do best without worrying about raising food.

> Thunder Rebels also notes that god-talkers are always initates (like
> everyone, basically) and normally devotees, and that priests are
> usually god-talkers first. It -also- says that most god-talkers have
> another job as well, so that Humakti god-talkers are also 'warriors'
> etc. Does this mean people who are making god-talker characters should
> have multiple Occupation Keywords (this is what I have done with an
> 'experimental' Hevduran intiate)?

TR was written before HQ formalised the keywords in the way that it did.

Among Heortlings, there isn't that much surplus food that the tribe can afford to support most God-talkers (the god-talkers that *are* so supported are priests, basically). So they need to be able to support themselves *in addition* to the God-talking that they do. So yes, they'd have two Occupational keywords, but they also have increased obligations (to talk about the gods when they're not raising food/hunting/war-making/crafting). This may mean more that their nominal 30% Initiate-level requirement, I'd probably tack on another 10-15% requirement, to reflect the additional stuff they have to do as a God-talker. (Similar to a Lay Minister who works all week at his regular job, then leads services in his church, prepares his sermons, and counsels his congregation).

RR
- Richelieu