Re: How to sepnd Hero Points.

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 23:33:37 +0200

Alex Ferguson 00-05-29 20.44

>An odd aspect to this is that the more 'rollplaying' you do, the
>proportionately more important it is to have a high ability score.
>My last run seemed to be very 'chatty', with relatively few contests
>and ability tests, which had the effect, apparently, that HPs didn't
>get spent as fast, and when a contest _did_ occur, it was all the more
>tempting to spend a HP on it.
>
>It's sort of a proportionality of effect: would you rather improve
>one roll by 20 (and after the fact, to boot), or many rolls by one?
>Somewhat conditioned by how many 'many' is...

So I'm the minimaxing 'rollplaying' power-gamer, am I? Well OK, fair enough...
But better that than a freeform 'storytelling' namby-pamby! ;-)

But seriously, you raise a good point.
If you're playing a series where die-rolling is a rarity, improving the few rolls that do occur is indeed the most cost-efficient way to use your HP.
Conversely, in a game where you're rolling for conflicts all the time (e.g. the sample episodes in the Narrator's Book...) the rational strategy is to spend your HP on long-term improvement of the skills most often used.

That said, there are of course times when even I will spend HP for reasons of characterization or drama...

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg