Re: Re: Common magic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:00:52 +1300

At 11:36 PM 2/6/05 +0000, you wrote:

>--- In HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, Peter Metcalfe
><metcalph_at_q...> wrote:

> > It's all very well describing them in terms of how you
> > approach the entity but what if you are making up a
> > common magic religion? What does one use to
> > determine whether a given magical effect is a spell
> > or a feat?

>Boy am I unqualified to answer, but I have a theory:
>Game mechanics and Game Balance.

I don't find that very convincing and I was looking for a glorantha-based approach rather a rules-based approach.

>Heortlings (which I am most familiar with) HQ
>P.48 - the common magic available is Flesh man talents. As we all
>know, Heortlings are primarily Theistic - so when they devote or
>concentrate their magic, then the loss of talents bites.

Except that many other cultures, whether theistic (Dara Happan, Esrolian, Rinliddi and Sylilans) or animistic (Bison People) spread their common magic around all four types. And at least one culture, the animistic Darjiinians, have all their common magic as charms.

--Peter Metcalfe