Re: Re: Common magic

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:35:36 +1100

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:36:45 +0000 (GMT), Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> Whenever I find myself worrying about game balance, I
> remind myself that the longest running game I'm in,
> and one of the most enjoyable, is where I'm a
> 14-year-old, not yet initiated, and the other PCs are
> approaching rune level.

Pardon me, and my large 'n00b' badge, but what is "rune level"?

> So, any rule apparently designed to limit player power
> and pull everyone down to the same level is one I tend
> to discard as fast as possible, IF that's what it is.
>
> But game mechanics, unless you go completely
> rules-free, are something we have to endure. And
> therefore, they have to work, and be understood. Hence
> this invaluable list.

Mechanics permit us to take shortcuts to deal with things that are important, but that are not -really- important. It also provides the element of difference to the telling of the story. These two think are what seperates this hobby from, say, a saga recitation circle.

Balance seems to arise because of a preoccupation with the origins of RPGs in contrived wargames. Balance, and its friend The Level, have their place in a Certain Type Of Game but not, I think, in this one. "Mighty chieftain" and "lowly apprentice" both require the same number of words to describe, afterall.

P.S. My money is on the Mindflayer. The Star Wars d20 rules are horrible.

--
John Machin