Re: Re: Common magic

From: nick_at_...
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:04:11 +0000

robert_m_davis_at_... wrote:

> > trithemius_at_k... wrote:
> >
> > > Pardon me, and my large 'n00b' badge, but what is "rune level"?
> >
> > It's a RuneQuest term that largely overlaps with what we now call
> Devotee.
>
> In fact I would go further and say that a devotee is more
> representative of an RQ3 Acolyte. "Rune Level" was maybe more a RQ2
> term, which when you read the requirements probably equates nearer to
> Disciple (see Storm Tribe).

YGMV, but I think Disciples are far beyond what we thought of as Rune Levels. Far beyond what RQ was capable of modelling to be honest. Yes, an Acolyte would be a bottom rung Devotee, but the bulk of Rune Lords and Rune Priests (RW2 terms, not RQ3) are essentially Devotees in magical terms with political positions that would come from an Advance Occupation - checks, yes, this is Rules...

Disciples are what we used to think of as Heroquesters, before we really understood the term.

However, I think this is getting digesty. To save anyone else the bother of pointing it out.