Re: Re: Common magic

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:17:11 -0800

>Further, I would suggest that Theists should not be able to use feats
>*from any source* when they devote, as I feel this *looks* like an
>artificial game construct for *balance*. When you devote you should
>give up all magic not native to your deity. Otherwise I cannot see
>why someone cannot use Talents, which come from within.

There is a difference between the magical restrictions based on Concentration, and those based on Devotion.

When you Concentrate your magic, you focus on one specific type of magic, be it Theism (Affinities & Feats), Animism (Spirits, Charms, Fetishes), Sorcery (Spells & Grimoires & Scriptures), or Inner World (Talents)*. This is why a concentrated Theist can't use talents - he has focused so strongly on one form of magic that other types of magic interfere with it. There are upsides to concentration: Easier progression of ability (cheaper HP costs), but also downsides (can't use other forms of magic). If you *do* use another form of magic, you Backslide (HQ page 108, second paragraph above Selfrock teaching). You *may* concentrate as a Communal-level or Initiate-level worshipper. You *must* concentrate as a Devotee-level worshipper

When you Devote yourself to a god, you cut yourself off from "any magic not provided by him". As you must have already concentrated your magic on theism, this basically means you can't worship another god at the same time. (But see http://www.glorantha.com/support/hq_faq.html#Theism for more)

*Or Lunar, or Underworld, or Chaos, Or Dragon...

RR
- Richelieu