Re: Magic from heroquesting [was: Re: Common magic]

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:58:53 -0800

> Magic you steal/are gifted with/etc while on heroquest is *yours*, and you
> can keep it even if you are a devotee. (of course, why are you doing
things
> your god didn't do? You're a devotee, fer cryin' out loud. if it wsn't
good
> enough for your god, why do you think it's good enough for you? Or are you
> some sort of God-Learner?)

>How come herocults offer different magic then? :)

Because heroes are renegades in many ways. Including (or especially) Player-Heroes. Expect to get grief from your community if you say "I want to go on the 'Elmal befriends guards the stead' heroquest", and you're not an Elmali. Expect the unexpected if you just go jaunting on the Hero Plane (or even worse, the God Plane) without a "map" of what you god did there. If you go on a heroquest that gives goodies to "Orlanth's Sword" (ie, Humakt), then your Humakt Devotee should be taking the role of Orlanth's Sword; not Orlanth's Spear, or Trickster, or Ernalda.

>I thought that devotees where as much about "What would Humakt do?" as
>they were about historical re-enactments?

What would Humakt do? He'd kill it. Maybe in one of several highly colorful ways, but that's pretty much it. (Or he wouldn't lie to it. Humakt's not really a very complicated god, when you get right down to it...)

Sorry, but theism, especially Devotion *is* about historico-mythic re-enactments. If you come up on a new situation, you try to figure out what your god would do *based on* what he did in related situations. If it's a totally new, never before seen by your god situation, then you have no guidance from what you know of your god, which means you're *'way* off the beaten path.

Yes, heroes are supposed to be the ones who go off the beaten path, but that's not because they are devotees, but because they are rebels and renegades. A "good devotee" doesn't look for new stuff for his god, only renegades do (then retro-fits it into the god's myth, if he can).

RR
- Richelieu