Re: is there a magic rules synopsis anywhere?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:02:21 -0800

Martin

>Is there a place where I can find the magic systems of HQ explained
>clearly? I have read and reread the book and still am not at all
>clear on who does what to whom, as the limerick says.

You might find my summary at
<http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/hqMagicSummary.html> useful.

>- when it says initiates can improvise feats, does that mean they
>can use them as active abilities (at the specified penalty)? It's
>hard to see what else it could mean, but the rules are so unclear I
>can't assume anything.

Yes -- if they wanted an augment, they could just use the affinity.

>- when do you have to increase a specific rating in a
>feat/spell/whathaveyou and when can you instead increase an
>affinity/grimoire/something rating?

When you only have 1 HP? Assuming you're concentrated and *have* feats, you can improve a feat so it's better than the general affinity.

You don't learn spells separately, you only ever improve Use [grimoire].

--

David Dunham