Re: Magic from heroquesting [was: Re: Common magic]

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:53:03 +0000 (GMT)

I might be wrong, but most HeroQuests for personal power would have to be tied fairly tightly to the mythology of particular entities. Going to Kargan Tor's court and taking the three blows is only the sort of thing a Humakti or Uroxi is going to go for instance. As these myths are part of the god's mythology they're magic from the god (they're part of what makes 'em tick after all) so devotees can use them no problem.

So I'd say it was the opposite - a devotee is more likely to go on a HeroQuest because he or she knows more about the mythology of the god and is more likely to be able to find their way around the hero plane.

If you stray off the beaten path you're in the realm of experimental HeroQuesting - something that Arkat, the God Learners and Lunars seemed to do more than anyone else. If you grab an ability on one of these you might be able to weave it into your deities mythology and it would still be something you could use as a devotee. I imagine this is fairly rare - you're generally a bit of a nutter or desperate to try experimental questing.

Dunno if that answers your question,

Cheers,

Ash