Re: Re: is there a magic rules synopsis anywhere?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:45:50 -0800

> I'll have to check the rules over the weekend, but I
> was sure that if you wanted to use your read
> [grimoire] you had to have the grimoire with you.
> Might be wrong though.

Read Page 164, "Wizardry Spells and Talismans".

Spells are learned seperately. Each requires a talisman to empower the spell in the Middle World (A talisman being a connection back to the Spell Node). Because each spell is an individual ability, you can augment with as many spells as you can cast. You need to buy up each spell seperately, and so your spells can have widely varying ability ratings.

Grimoires are automatically Talismans, allowing you to cast any spell in the Grimoire whether you know it or not. To do so you use your Use [Grimoire] ability. Because Spell and Use [Grimoire] are two seperate spells, you can use one to augment the other. The drawbacks of Grimoires is that they are usually several volumes of heavy books (scrolls, stone tablets, etc), and are not easily replaceable. So you are unlikely to carry your Grimoire with you on your adventures (Unless you've got a wagon...)

RR
- Richelieu