RE: Re: Common Magic, Subcults

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:33:44 -0600

>From: "parental_unit_2" <parental_unit_2_at_...>

I've pointed this out before, but I'll try again.

>In some cases, concentration on the
>main magic system of a homeland means giving up the native common
>magic because it's from the wrong otherworld.

I'm not sure if you're saying here that flesh man is the only source of common magic to Heortlings. But to be clear, it's not. As Greg points out, the Heortlings think that he is the only source, but, in fact, he's not. And furthermore, unless I'm reading incorrectly, Heortlings can have other sorts of common magic. That is, they can take the same abilities that Flesh Man gives out as feats. The rationale being that they got this from a daimone (who presumably they think is Flesh Man or something).

Now, it may in fact be that the Heortlings are so mixed up about this stuff, that they refuse to take common magic as anything but talents. But that's not what I've read. If that is the case, then perhaps it's true that they are limitiing themselves this way. But that's, then, a heortling cultural limitation. Not a rules one. That is, in other cultures, there don't seem to be such limitations. A character can take any common magic in any form, and further, declare that it's from any source. My reading (and from what I've been told here as well) is that the common magic religions are just samples for each culture of where their common magic comes from. That each has potentially many other sources, and these can be defined any way the player desires.

So, let's say we've got a theoretical animist culture, but it's listed common magic is all feats. That doesn't mean that they can't take charms for their common magic keyword, if they want. And, yes, players knowing that the limitations are there, will, in fact, "play the system" and pick charms if they're going to be concentrated. This doesn't really require an in-game rationale, but if you wanted on, it would simply be that the character was predisposed to that sort of magic, hence why he ended up concentrating in it in the end. Seems more than plausible.

Now, if I've made a mistake, and in fact you are supposed to be limited to the common magic provided by the religions listed for your culture only, then somebody please correct me. But if I'm not wrong, then all it means is that these cases where there are sorts of magic presented that the character could take, but which will be lost when concentrating, are just examples for color, and only problematic from the perception that, since they got listed they must have some predominance or something (which, even if true, still isn't problematic).

Mike