Re: Common Magic, Subcults

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:39:53 -0000

Note that properly speaking, you should be comparing orderlies to initiates, and church wizards to devotees. I'd agree that the wizards might have a hard time compared to the devotees in some regards. But I think the orderlies do OK versus the initiates really.

> > All considered, I expect that that Aeoling are slowly converting
> > Heortlings becuase of their more effecient magic
>
> They might be converting the Heortlings thanks to superior material
> technology, but not thanks to magic costs for the reasons explained
> above.

It would seem you totally skipped over my discussion of how the average Esvulie gets more for less, so that their overall society is more effecient. Remember soldiers and heroes are only a small part of the whole, and the typical farmer does about as well as a lay member as most heortlings do as initiates, for a lot less magical commitment. It is a bit like arguing that you can't understand how Japanese companies can manage to sell cars in Germany, what with how good Mercedes and BMWs are.

--Bryan