Common Magic, Subcults... and specialized magic

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:36:06 -0500

Peter observes:

>> I think part of my confusion is the use of the word "Feat" instead of
>> "Affinity". It makes a great deal more sense (to me) to say that an
>> *Affinity* is something you are.
>
> Except that the topic is common magic and there are no common
> magic affinities.

So it is - that's what I get for skimming, I guess. I stand by my original post then - as it applies to the specific discussion of Common Magic. The description that Greg gave also works nicely as a general description of HeroQuest magic, though. In *that* context I stand by my second post - Affinities are something that you become and Feats are something that you do. Just to be clear.

Regarding Talents, it also seems weird to me that you can learn something (a Common Magic Talent) that is "part of you", but I see that as discovering something that was always there rather than adding an entirely new "part". Or perhaps it is using something that was always there in a new way. I don't suppose the specifics really matter that much, though. The objective "why" of it is largely irrelevant from an 'in game' point of view. It just works the way it works.

~Kevin McD