Concentration, culture and change

From: Jeff Richard <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:20:27 -0000

> So let's take the Heortlings as a "worst case scenario." The
question
> becomes how many of them concentrate? Well, none of them have to
do so -
> it's not required to be an initiate. Further, many of them are
likely to
> have magic like Flesh Man talents, and other common magic that
happens not
> to be feats. So, I'm guessing that only the sort of rare
individual who's
> likely to someday become a devotee, perhaps, is likely to
concentrate. The
> rest blythly spend the double HP (actually, they're not heroes so
they don't
> get HP, but that's a whole nother argument) to increase their
magic
> abilities if they increase them at all. That is, yes, they
progress slowly,
> I think.

I think this is largely correct. But I think it is worth remembering that the level of concentration (and devotion) in a given community is something that changes with time. For example, I expect that the original wave of Heortling settlers in Dragon Pass during the 1330s may have had higher levels of concentration and devotion than the more settled Sartarites of two and half centuries later. During the Lunar Occupation, I suspect that level drops again (as people look to different ways to survive) and then rises again during the Rebellion (with many people - especially player characters - devoting themselves to the gods of the Storm Tribe).

Jeff