RE: Re: Common Magic, Subcults

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:32:23 -0600

>From: "parental_unit_2" <parental_unit_2_at_...>

>The HQ book says that "many" Aeolings concentrate,
>even though there's no benefit in doing so (because of the misapplied
>worship rule). The book doesn't say why -- maybe the Aeolian Church
>frowns on common magic, as some other churches apparently do.

I think that's quite possibly an overly literal reading of "many." I'm guessing it means many as in, "far more than would logically make sense given the condition." So "many" here could mean something like as many as do in Sartar. If 5% of Aeolings concentrate, given that it's senseless, that's thousands of people doing the wrong thing. Certainly qualifies as "many."

I think that the problem here is that we're trying to come up with specific figures from relative statements. Put another way, make them mean what you want them to mean. I argue that Heortlings don't concentrate often in part because it makes more sense if they don't. If you want Aeolings to be against common magic (that which isn't spells) when they get into their specialized religion, then, sure, "many" can mean almost all of them.

Why does there have to be a hard and fast answer to the question? Ler's say that you want there to be some question going around as to why we all lose our Flesh Man Talents when we concentrate in Sartar. Then in your game, everyone concentrates, and the question is prominent. This principle is especially true of something like concentration, where it's mechanically a construct meant to represent something somewhat subjective in in-game terms - the amount of focus a character is putting on one thing or another. Just how much actual time spent causes these things to be lost or gained? Who cares? Make the game rule fit the reality that you need.

Mike