RE: Re: Common Magic, Subcults

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:41:05 -0000

Ashley re RQ:
> I'm not sure how "normal" this was as far as Glorantha goes.
> Only theists generally used a mix, and that was spirit and
> divine magic.

And Chalana Arroy were allowed to use (some) sorcery. Which was fun, if you got creative with it.

> If you go a bit further and replace the word "spirit"
> with "daemon" (or whatever an entity of divine goodness is
> called these days) then maybe it wasn't spirit magic after
> all, but some form of divine stuff as well that just happened
> to be mechanistically similar to spirit magic.

Now that strikes me as a very good work-around. Spell spirits which came from your god - yes, daemons or whatever they're called this week. Which teach feats, and then go away again. After all, how does one learn a feat, especially a common magic one? You follow someone else through an appropriate HQ, right? But there's nothing to say the "someone else" starts in the same mundane place as you do. Your priest opens the way to exactly the right bit of Otherworld, and you meet your guide there. HQ-rules experts - does that work? Or would some approximation to it work?