Re: Common Magic, Subcults

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:13:34 +0000 (GMT)

I think Greg has stated before that mixed magic (not misapplied, mixed) is the norm in Glorantha (i.e. folks work with charms, feats, spells, and talents). People take magic from whatever their parents did and whatever they find to work with around them. So concentration is not, I think, the norm, although some cultures, societies, and individuals may practice it.

IMG even 'average' Heortlings would not concentrate and be both an initiate of either Orlanth or Ernalda and use Flesh Man talents (and probably some local common magic too). Of course there are exceptional people who don't follow this pattern and worship other members of the Storm Tribe, concentrate, and devote.

BTW The Hero's Book has an example of another Common Religion for Heortlings in one of the character write ups. I've always felt that thre must be a few more of these 'local' common religions floating around, Flesh Man is just the one that is culturally common. But remember you can use common magic outside a common religion. (Most?) Gloranthans do not know this but a common religion is just a cultural 'explanation' for common magic.

Ian Cooper