Re: Canonical Improvisational Modifier?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 04:22:25 +0100 (BST)

Andrew Dawson:
> The RiG book on p. 121 lists the standard improvisational modifier as -3;
> the Glossary of Terms lists it as -5. David Dunham consistently says that
> it is -3; Roderick Robertson consistently says that he thinks it should be
> -5, and that -3 is the old value.
>
> I have decided to use -5 for the time being. Will someone please state the
> official consensus so that I can state at a demo that the standard/default
> improvisational modifier is -X? Then could it please be added to the Errata?

Doubtless this will be the Most Annoying Answer Possible: but I think the idea of a 'standard improvisation' is bordering on the oxymoronic, and I'd suggest, pick whatever seems appopriate for the task in hand...

About the only place one needs a 'standard' such modifier, IMO, is for performing 'unknown' Feats from the appropriate Affinity. I can't recall whether that ended up being called an 'improvisational modifier' or not, but I do believe it's indeed standardised at -3. (I don't have the Narrator's Book to hand, tragically.)

Cheers,
Alex.