Re: How Many Concentrate

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 04:38:10 +1100

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:58:43 -0600 (CST), Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:
> I have always contended that most people do not concentrate. Most people
> are extremely practical and perform whatever makes their survival easier,
> so they go to their regular services, make offerings and sing songs to Mr.
> Berry Bush and Old Man Acorn Grove, sacrifice when needed to Sister Water,
> The Guy in the Pool, wave their spell sticks over the butter pot to make
> that special cheese, pay the gal with the Healing Charms to get rid of the
> flux, eat the "color shrooms" when they need to find their cattle, go
> without food and water for three days when they want to find the pigs lost
> in the woods, chant over the birds found dead in the woods, bake special
> bread and leave it out for the things that used to come out of the woods,
> lay aside a portion of the ale for the ghosts of those who died near their
> creek, toss salt over their shoulder for good luck, cross their fingers
> and knock on wood, offer their own blood when the baby is sick, and so on
> and on and on, and never eve care a whit about Otherworlds, types of
> beings, type of worship or the types of magic.

(Slightly off-topic perhaps, and possibly Old News...)

Reading this reminded me of something interesting to look at: http://www.mjt.org/exhibits/bees/bees.html

If you happen to be near Los Angeles. I visited the MJT when I was there, back in 2001/2002 and this exhibition in particular seemed to be all aboutt what could be thought of as -our- (or our great grandparents?) "common magic".

P.S. If you do visit the MJT, watch out for the X-ray Bats (thankfully not Crimson...).

--
John Machin