Re: Vinga Dar magic?

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:40:52 +0000 (GMT)

As far as I can remember, provided you're not a Devotee, you can learn the affinities and feats of other sub-cults, even from other aspects. As soon as you become a Devotee you have to bin your non-aspect magic, and, although I can't remember seeing this stated explicitly anywhere, by implication this would include membership of a non-aspect sub-cult.

So, to take a concrete example: Merik's an Initiate of Destor Adventurous and somehow he gets raised by the clan moot to chieftain. He elects to stay an Initiate of Orlanth Adventurous (he's "only looking after the clan while the real chieftain is away") but adds membership of Dar as well. He would probably learn the sub-cult affinity (Lead Clan II RC) as part of his Initiation. Although he can't learn the Allfather affinity (it's not from a sub cult of his aspect) I can't see a reason why he couldn't learn the Dar specific Allfather feats as standalone magical abilities.

>From what I remember of Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe
(which isn't a lot, I haven't got them to hand) worshipping Vinga is a lot like a bloke worshipping Orlanth Adventurous. She can join any sub-cult of Orlanth Adventurous and gain it's affinity and any feats provided by those ssub-cults She can also learn affinities and feats provided by those ssub-cultseven if she doesn't fully join them. She can also join ssub-cultsof other aspects of Orlanth (e.g. Dar) and learn it's affinity and feats in exactly the same way a bloke could if he was a member of Orlanth Adventurous.

So, Vingans look like Orlanth Adventurous worshippers, except without the option to Initiate into the Orlanth Allfather aspect.

<wild_speculation>
However, while they might not be able to Initiate directly into the Allfather aspect of Orlanth, they might be able to Initiate into the Ernalda Aspect that provides leadership magic. I'd let it happen in my game, but then I'm a soft-touch.
</wild_speculation>

Hope this sheds some light,

Ash

PS: In Kallyr's case, she could have stayed an Initiate of Vanganth after she became an Initiate of Dar. Presumably she didn't want the additional cocommitmentn her time of worshipping two ssub-cults